My mom could do nothing but lie in bed after breaking her ankle. For trips to the bathroom, doctor and physical therapy, and all her basic needs she relied on my dad. Providing such physically-demanding support 24/7 was hardly feasible for my elderly dad, let alone for my brother and I. The solution? Pass the torch.
My hands shook uncontrollably as I tried to screw off the top of a bottle of Benadryl. The little plastic measuring cup seemed more like a tiny thimble as I attempted to pour the correct amount of medication. My son, Jasper, was having an allergic reaction to peanuts. Red splotches develop all over. His tongue and face swell.